Re: Hot Backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Hot Backup
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:40:44AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:

> Is it me or do doomsdays scenarios sometimes seem a little silly? I'd

Not if your contract requires five-nines reliablility and no more
than 180 minutes of downtime _ever_.  Is five-nines realistic?  For
most purposes, probably not, according to recent pronouncements (see,
e.g. <http://www.bcr.com/bcrmag/2002/05/p22.asp>).  But it's in
lots of contracts anyway.

> like to ask just where are you storing your "incremental backups" with
> Oracle/m$ sql ?? If it's on the same drive, then when you drive craps

The more or less standard way of doing this is to stream the
PITR-required stuff to another device on another controller -- lots
of people stream to tape.  People have been doing this for ages,
partly because disks used to be (a) expensive and (b) unreliable.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110