Re: small proposal: pg_config record flag variables? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: small proposal: pg_config record flag variables?
Date
Re: small proposal: pg_config record flag variables?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> pg_config --cc
>> pg_config --cppflags
>> pg_config --cflags
>> pg_config --cflags_sl
>> pg_config --ldflags
>> pg_config --ldflags_sl
>> pg_config --libs

> I would be tempted to have one flag called, say, --build-env which has
> all the interesting settings from the build environment in one hit.

I thought about that too, but the advantage of separate options is that
it'd be relatively easy for programs to pull out and use the values.
For instance, this could be handy for configuring an external addon.
I believe the --configure option is specifically designed to allowconfigure `pg_config --configure`
to work sanely.

The one-flag way would be human readable but not program friendly.