Re: small proposal: pg_config record flag variables? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff MacDonald
Subject Re: small proposal: pg_config record flag variables?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 03:25:16PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> pg_config --cc
> >> pg_config --cppflags
> >> pg_config --cflags
> >> pg_config --cflags_sl
> >> pg_config --ldflags
> >> pg_config --ldflags_sl
> >> pg_config --libs
>
> > I would be tempted to have one flag called, say, --build-env which has
> > all the interesting settings from the build environment in one hit.
>
> I thought about that too, but the advantage of separate options is that
> it'd be relatively easy for programs to pull out and use the values.
> For instance, this could be handy for configuring an external addon.
> I believe the --configure option is specifically designed to allow
>     configure `pg_config --configure`
> to work sanely.
>
> The one-flag way would be human readable but not program friendly.
>
>             regards, tom lane

how about both? have the various single-variable options, and another (like
'--build-env') that presents a human readable list for posting in bug
reports or web pages showing build environments and such..

regards,