Re: ODBC Patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ODBC Patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
>> problem is that MS VC++ autogenerates resource.h whenever psqlodbc.rc is
>> updated in the IDE. Is it possible to get pgindent to ignore that file or
>> would that cause more problems?

> Sure, we can ignore it, but do we want an MS-generated file to be
> tracked in our CVS, and especially one with // comments?
> If resource.h was included only by MS compilers, that would be better,
> but I see every platform including the file.

Good point.  This will not be buildable on machines whose compilers do
not like //.

> Can you send me that resource.h file again, and I will merge in any
> change made by *.rc, but keep the /* */ comments, OK?

I don't think that's a feasible long-term maintenance approach either.
Will you or Dave remember to do this any time psqlodbc.rc changes?

Seems like the correct answer is for pgindent to automatically transform
"// comment" to "/* comment */".

            regards, tom lane