Re: [BUGS] Problem with PostgreSQL string sorting - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] Problem with PostgreSQL string sorting
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I believe most versions of libc use declarative specifications of locale
>> properties, so if you wanted to spend some time learning the language in
>> which those are written, you could make and install a locale that acts
>> like you want.  It's possible there's one out there already, because
>> a lot of people seem to want that.

> True. And, the declarative language glibc uses doesn't look that
> complicated to me. However, you'd really have to vendor your own glibc
> to make this work, since they are compiled to some binary
> representation when glibc is built. That's probably prohibitively
> complicated to manage.

Really?  "man localedef" certainly gives the impression that you can
just compile some more locales if you want.  Admittedly, your system's
package manager might have a hissy fit about nonstandard files
suddenly appearing in /usr/lib/locale, but that's not glibc's fault.