Re: SCSI vs. IDE performance test - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SCSI vs. IDE performance test
Date
List pgsql-general
Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca> writes:
>> They've managed to patent ye olde elevator algorithm??  The USPTO really
>> is without a clue, isn't it :-(

>         It's not the USPTO's fault -- the problem is that nobody objected to it
> while it was in the "Patent Pending" state.

If their examiner had even *minimal* competency in the field, it would
not have gotten to the "Patent Pending" state.  Algorithms that are well
documented in the standard textbooks of thirty years ago do not qualify
as something people should have to stand guard against.

Perhaps I should try to patent base-two arithmetic, and hope no one
notices till it goes through ... certainly the USPTO won't notice ...

            regards, tom lane