Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Tobias Wendorff
Subject Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi Craig,

Am Mo, 28.05.2018, 03:34 schrieb Craig Ringer:

> Some quick research suggests that Access's Decimal data type is
> what you should be using. It's not floating point. This fits with
> what you're saying, as the docs say Decimal in Access is limited
> to 28 digits.

But there's a problem: you can't change the field type of a linked
table in MS Access. Even if the driver delivers the correct type,
I cannot influence the decimal width (or anything else) and the
problem inevitably arises.

So, as Jan and I suggested, the only way is to apply a change
either in the column itself or do it in realtime using a VIEW.

> Seems like it probably has a more limited implementation using
> fixed-point, not PostgreSQL's BCD representation, as they use
> a fixed 17 bytes in the native storage.
>
> It should map as SQL_DECIMAL, NOT double or float.

Sure, I didn't want to force fundamental changes here. I just
wanted to suggest something like a "compatibility switch" for
Microsoft Access when using "unlimited" NUMERIC in PostgreSQL.

Best,
Tobias