Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Inoue, Hiroshi
Subject Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi Tobias,

Could you please try the test drivers 10.03.0100 on Windows at
    https://winpg.jp/~inoue/psqlodbc/index.html
?
The test drivers have an option
    Numeric(without precision) as
.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

On 2018/05/28 11:13, Tobias Wendorff wrote:
Hi Craig,

Am Mo, 28.05.2018, 03:34 schrieb Craig Ringer:
Some quick research suggests that Access's Decimal data type is
what you should be using. It's not floating point. This fits with
what you're saying, as the docs say Decimal in Access is limited
to 28 digits.
But there's a problem: you can't change the field type of a linked
table in MS Access. Even if the driver delivers the correct type,
I cannot influence the decimal width (or anything else) and the
problem inevitably arises.

So, as Jan and I suggested, the only way is to apply a change
either in the column itself or do it in realtime using a VIEW.

Seems like it probably has a more limited implementation using
fixed-point, not PostgreSQL's BCD representation, as they use
a fixed 17 bytes in the native storage.

It should map as SQL_DECIMAL, NOT double or float.
Sure, I didn't want to force fundamental changes here. I just
wanted to suggest something like a "compatibility switch" for
Microsoft Access when using "unlimited" NUMERIC in PostgreSQL.

Best,
Tobias