Re: Doc translation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Doc translation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> we could move the english docs out of pgsql itself and into this module
> too, as:
> pgsql-docs/en

Hmm, I'm not sure that that's a good idea; seems it would lose the
coupling between versions of the source and versions of the
documentation.

I quite agree that we should have an official distribution of
non-English documentation if possible.  I'm just wondering how best to
keep track of which set of docs goes with which Postgres release.
Since the English docs are (we hope) kept up to date with the sources,
it seems best to keep those as part of the master CVS tree.

We could imagine keeping non-English docs in the same tree, but that
would require lots of attention to branch management --- for example,
we'd have to be careful to commit these Japanese translations of 7.1
docs into the REL7_1_STABLE branch.  OTOH maybe that's just as true
if there's a separate CVS tree for docs; you'd still want to deal with
a new version per source release.  So maybe a single tree is the right
answer after all.

Anyone have experience with managing this sort of situation under CVS?
Is separate tree or combined tree better?