Re: autostart postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexey Borzov
Subject Re: autostart postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings, Bob!

At 16.10.2000, 11:20, you wrote:
BH> Partial success!
BH>   I have postgresql started and have "createdb testdb"
BH> successfully.  I am having trouble with autostarting
BH> postmaster in RH6.2 however.

BH>   I have copied the file
BH> "/usr/local/postgresql-7.0.2.......postgres-init"  to
BH> /etc/rc.d/init.d and made a softe link to it from .../rc5.d
BH> as follows       ln /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres.init
BH> /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S98postgres.init

BH>   postmaster does not autostart upon a reboot.  Do I have to
BH> use a start command or other paramater to tell postgres.init
BH> to start the postmaster up?  I am not good at reading and
BH> deciphering these scripts but would like postgres to
BH> autostart everytime the PC boots to runlevel 5.

    You should either copy the init script to /etc/rc.d/init.d/
and run
/sbin/chkconfig --add postgres
or run the script with 'install' option (which basically does the
same thing). Messing directly with /etc/rc.d/rc*.d/ is not a very good
idea.

--
Yours, Alexey V. Borzov