Fw: Fw: Postgresql 7 does not always start on RH 6.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Warren Flemmer
Subject Fw: Fw: Postgresql 7 does not always start on RH 6.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Logs now working. For interest all that needed to be done was change
>/dev/null to >/var/log/postgresql. All the permissions must have already
been set for this file, it work straight away. (RH6.2, postgresql 7, and
installation from rpm)

Now for the log message:
pg_ctl: It seems another postmaster is running. Try to start postmaster
anyway.
pg_ctl: Cannot start postmaster. Is another postmaster running?
Can't create pid file: /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid
Is another postmaster (pid 494( running?

This occured on the third reboot. The first two started fine. The system was
shutdown the same way each time (from Gnome). I had a look for
/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432, nothing was there. Perhaps the attempt to start
postgresql cleared it because any second attempt to start postgresql works.

I tried to start and stop the postgresql from the console a few times
(probably about 20 times) to see what would happen. On one occasion
postgresql did not start and the log had the following (all other attempts
were fine):

pg_ctl: It seems another postmaster is running. Try to start postmaster
anyway.
pg_ctl: Cannot start postmaster. Is another postmaster running?
001016.08:24:29.899 [1949] IpcmemoryCreate: shmget failed (identifier
removed) key=5432007, size=66060, permission=600
This type of error is usually caused by an improper shared memory or System
V IPC semaphore configuration. ....
SISegmentInit: segment create failed. Identifier removed
001016.08:24:29.901 [1949] FATAL 1: CreateSharedIntervalidation state:
Failed segment init

The system is a standard PC with an Intel 166 cpu and 32 megs memory. I have
used to system for varies tasks over the last few years with no failures. I
have no reason to suspect the hardware.

Warren