Re: PostgreSQL client hangs sometimes on 'EXEC SQL PREPARE sid_sisisinst FROM :select_anw;' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL client hangs sometimes on 'EXEC SQL PREPARE sid_sisisinst FROM :select_anw;'
Date
List pgsql-general
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> writes:
> As the client seems to be waiting on the server and the server on the
> client... could it have been caused by this in /etc/hosts (what our IT
> department configured):

Doubt it.  Your connection evidently got through (at least) the
authentication exchange, so basic data transmission seems to be
working.  I speculate that there's something data-dependent about
the command that's failing.

As an example, it would not be terribly surprising to get a behavior
like this if there were something deciding to do an LF -> CRLF or
similar transformation on the data stream.  The substitution might
accidentally not trigger during authentication, only to break some
actual query a bit later.  But there really shouldn't be anything
making such changes in our data stream.

Still, looking at recent network-level configuration changes wouldn't
be a bad idea.

            regards, tom lane