Re: Fork-based version of pgbench - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fork-based version of pgbench
Date
List pgsql-patches
Argh, I'm an idiot ... a big part of the problem with the original
fork-based pgbench is that I'd rearranged the startup code without
noticing a data dependency.  You can't initialize the default scripts
until you've gotten the correct value of "tps" by inspecting the
database.  What was happening was that it was making tps = 1 always,
which meant that every transaction tried to update the bid = 1 row
of "branches", which resulted in strict serialization of transactions.
Performance of the attached version is markedly better ;-)

            regards, tom lane

Attachment