Re: temporary file location? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: temporary file location?
Date
List pgsql-general
Vincent Stoessel <vincent@xaymaca.com> writes:
> At the end of a long query that I am running I got the following error:
> ERROR:  ltsWriteBlock: failed to write block 2427094 of temporary file
>         Perhaps out of disk space?

Hm ... bc says 2427094 * 8192 = 19882754048, or about 18.5Gb.

> Yes, these are the default redhat partitions. Where is postgresql
> writing temporary tables to? Is that a configurable parameter?

They're under $PGDATA, and you're already filling your biggest
partition, so moving won't help anyway.  I'd suggest looking for a more
efficient way to do the query, instead.

Considering that your total database must be somewhere under 3.6G,
I wonder whether your query is even correct --- why should it be needing
18+G (possibly far more, we cannot tell) of temp data?  I wonder if
you've got an unconstrained join or something like that.

            regards, tom lane