Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
Date
Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2022-09-04 Su 09:56, Tom Lane wrote:
>> You would need to make the ecpg-check step
>> conditional, though, so it's moot: we'd have to fix the buildfarm
>> first in any case, unless it's default-enabled which would seem
>> a bit odd.

> *nod*

I guess we could proceed like this:

1. Invent the --with option.  Temporarily make "make check" in ecpg
print a message but not fail if the option wasn't selected.

2. Update buildfarm client to recognize the option and skip ecpg-check
if not selected.

3. Sometime down the road, after everyone's updated their buildfarm
animals, flip ecpg "make check" to throw an error reporting that
ecpg wasn't built.

There'd need to be a separate discussion around how much to
encourage buildfarm owners to add --with-ecpg to their
configurations.  One thing that would make that easier is
adding --with-ecpg as a no-op option to the back branches,
so that if you do want it on it doesn't have to be done
with a branch-specific test.  (I guess packagers might
appreciate that too.)