Re: pgsql: Generate backup manifests for base backups, and validatethem. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pgsql: Generate backup manifests for base backups, and validatethem.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-04-03 21:07, Robert Haas wrote:
> A new tool called pg_validatebackup can validate a backup against the
> manifest.

In software engineering, "verify" and "validate" have standardized
distinct meanings.  I'm not going to try to explain them here, but you
can easily find them online.  I haven't formed an opinion on which one
of them this tool is doing, but I notice that both the man page and the
messages produced by the tool use the two terms seemingly
interchangeably.  We should try to pick the correct term and use it
consistently.