Re: string concatenation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: string concatenation
Date
List pgsql-general
"Gyorgy Molnar" <yuri@powercom.com.sg> writes:
> I got an empty string for result. I think I got this result because the
> string concatenation ("||") was created with "isstrict" flag. In this case
> it will give back NULL object if one of the arguments was NULL object.

Actually, you got back a NULL, not an empty string.  There is a big
difference (even if Oracle confuses the two concepts).

> Is this feature will change in the future?

No.  That's what the SQL standard says to do, and that's what we plan to
keep doing.  You can make your own nonstandard concatenation function
if you feel like it, though.

            regards, tom lane