BUG #17272: Incorrect syntax parsed - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From PG Bug reporting form
Subject BUG #17272: Incorrect syntax parsed
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      17272
Logged by:          László Nagy
Email address:      nagylzs@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 12.8
Operating system:   Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS on amd64

Formally, the INTO should always precede the FROM keyword in a SELECT INTO
statement. ( https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-selectinto.html )

Today we accidentally wrote this in a plpsql function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION wf.trg_after_update_workflow_station ()
    RETURNS TRIGGER
    LANGUAGE plpgsql
    AS $function$
DECLARE
    selected_user_id float;
BEGIN
    IF (NEW.station_id IS DISTINCT FROM OLD.station_id) THEN
        IF (NEW.station_id = 2105) THEN
            select su.id from sys.sec_user su into selected_user_id inner
join kap.training_permit tp on
            su.id = tp.sec_user_id inner join wf.workflow w on w.rec_id =
tp.id where w.rec_id = NEW.rec_id;
            perform from sys.sec_user_group where user_id = selected_user_id
and group_id = 35;
            IF NOT FOUND THEN
                INSERT INTO sys.sec_user_group (id, group_id, user_id)
VALUES (nextval('sys.id_seq'), 35, selected_user_id);
            END IF;
        END IF;
<more code here>
END
$function$

As you can see, we have used it in this order:

SELECT <expression> FROM tablename INTO variable INNER JOIN .....

I was very surprised that it actually worked! I think this should be a
syntax error. (Or maybe if this is not a syntax error, then it should be
documented?)