Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove arbitrary ALTER TABLE .. ADD COLUMN restriction. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove arbitrary ALTER TABLE .. ADD COLUMN restriction.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> This is not an "arbitrary restriction" because according to the SQL
>> standard those operations mean different things. �In the first case you
>> get a column filled with the default value, in the second case you get a
>> column filled with nulls. �And the latter case is the only one that
>> works properly with a rowtype.

> That's an untenable interpretation.

No, *your* interpretation is untenable.  The sequence of operations that
the previous coding allowed behaves the same for both the table and
rowtype instances.  The "shortcut" doesn't behave the same.

This was, I believe, discussed at length when the previous coding was
put in.  The fact that you and Noah haven't read the spec carefully
doesn't give you license to change it.