Re: Re-create dependent views on ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN ... TYPE? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re-create dependent views on ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN ... TYPE?
Date
Re: Re-create dependent views on ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN ... TYPE?  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The real problem in my mind is one of user expectations.  If the database
>> silently does something behind your back, people expect that that action
>> will be *right* and they don't have to worry about it.  I don't think
>> that automatically reparsing views has much chance of clearing that bar.

> I agree, but I think it's important to note that Alex's complaint is
> not unique - the way things work now is a real source of frustration
> for users.

Oh, I quite agree with that.  My concern here has to do with automatically
and silently making changes that we can't be very sure will meet the
user's expectations.  Perhaps what we need is some kind of UI/API design
whereby the user can inspect/modify/approve the semantic changes in
advance of pushing the red button.