Re: Re-create dependent views on ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN ... TYPE? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Re-create dependent views on ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN ... TYPE?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > I agree, but I think it's important to note that Alex's complaint is
> > not unique - the way things work now is a real source of frustration
> > for users.
>
> Oh, I quite agree with that.  My concern here has to do with automatically
> and silently making changes that we can't be very sure will meet the
> user's expectations.  Perhaps what we need is some kind of UI/API design
> whereby the user can inspect/modify/approve the semantic changes in
> advance of pushing the red button.

No clue how we'd manage to do that with just core, but could we provide
something which would make it easier for pgAdmin-or-similar to do that?

We could at least spit out NOTICE's and then see if the user decides to
commit the change but I'm not sure how well that'd really work.

In general, I like the idea..
Thanks,
    Stephen