Re: Running postmaster with TCP/IP (ipv4) - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Running postmaster with TCP/IP (ipv4)
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Adham Helal" <aahelal@hotmail.com> writes:
> when i start postmaster with -i option i get this error �could not
> create IPv6 socket: Address family not supported by protocol� and i
> dont want ipv6 in the first place. I only want ipv4. I tried to find
> something to disable ipv6 but i didn't

This isn't really an error, and you can safely ignore it.  The reason
you see it is that getaddrinfo() is returning an IPv6 address as well as
an IPv4 address for "localhost".  Postgres tries to bind to both (as I
think it should), but your kernel isn't configured to support IPv6 so
it bounces that attempt.  The IPv4 try succeeds so Postgres is happy.

If you don't like seeing the message in your logs, the solution is to
get glibc and the kernel on the same page --- either both supporting
IPv6 or both not.  I am not sure where exactly you configure what
getaddrinfo will translate "localhost" to; possibly /etc/hosts or your
DNS setup, but I've not worked with an IPv6-enabled system myself.
Anyway that's what you need to change.

            regards, tom lane