RE: Replication question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scot Kreienkamp
Subject RE: Replication question
Date
List pgsql-general

I remember thinking it was pulling from archive with the restore command if necessary to augment what it had on disk.  If that was the case I wanted to configure it.  I don’t care for the replication slots due to the possible disk space issue as we don’t run shifts around the clock.  So I’ll have to mount the archive via NFS like I had before, not a big deal.

As an alternative to NFS I was thinking about making the archives available via HTTPD and using wget or curl in my script instead of a copy from NFS.  That seems like it would work better from the remote sites.

Scot Kreienkamp |Senior Systems Engineer | La-Z-Boy Corporate
One La-Z-Boy Drive| Monroe, Michigan 48162 | Office: 734-384-6403 | | Mobile: 7349151444 | Email: Scot.Kreienkamp@la-z-boy.com

From: Jeff Janes [mailto:jeff.janes@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 11:43 AM
To: Scot Kreienkamp <Scot.Kreienkamp@la-z-boy.com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: Replication question

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018, 9:54 AM Scot Kreienkamp <Scot.Kreienkamp@la-z-boy.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

We just moved to PG9.6 from 9.1 (yeah, not my choice to wait this long).  In 9.1 I had to make the archive location (NFS in my case) available to all the mirrors running PG so that they could catch up whenever they fell behind.  I thought I read somewhere that in 9.6, as long as the WAL log is available on disk or in the archive the replication server will provide that to the replication client, and my archive NFS mount didn’t have to be available to all replication clients.  It doesn’t seem to be operating that way though.  Did I completely remember that wrong or did I misunderstand something?

The master won't read from the archives for you in order to send to an replica.  But using replication slots, you can keep the needed log files right in pg_xlog/pg_wal until all replicas get what they need (assuming the disk is large enough).  Then you don't need an archive at all for replication purposes, still might for pitr purposes.

Perhaps this is what you heard about.

Cheers,

Jeff

This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It may contain privileged, confidential information which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient) or copying this information.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail or by telephone at the above number. Thank you.