Re: Replication question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Replication question
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 2018-10-22 13:53:40 +0000, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:
> We just moved to PG9.6 from 9.1 (yeah, not my choice to wait this long).  In 9.1 I had to make the archive location
(NFSin my case) available to all the mirrors running PG so that they could catch up whenever they fell behind.  I
thoughtI read somewhere that in 9.6, as long as the WAL log is available on disk or in the archive the replication
serverwill provide that to the replication client, and my archive NFS mount didn't have to be available to all
replicationclients.  It doesn't seem to be operating that way though.  Did I completely remember that wrong or did I
misunderstandsomething?

You can configure it that way with replication slots.  That obviously
requires enough space. It also, as the data is stored on the primary,
can't protect against loosing the entire primary (nor will an nfs served
archive if it's hosted on the primary).

> This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It may contain privileged,
confidentialinformation which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.  If you are not the intended recipient,
youare strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient)
orcopying this information.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail
orby telephone at the above number. Thank you.

GNGNGNG.

Greetings,

Andres Freund