Re: BUG #15245: pg_stat_all_tables does not include partition mastertables - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: BUG #15245: pg_stat_all_tables does not include partition mastertables
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2018/06/18 11:06, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 08:29:33AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
>> My first reaction was to agree, which suggests a need for a note in the
>> docs why this isn't the case.  The _all_ specifically means both user and
>> system; the _stats_ in the name means that only tables that have statistics
>> are included.  I feel this is a reasonable decision.
>
> If there were anything to happen here, then I think that it would be
> hard to define what the statistics of the parent partition should
> reflect.  For example, the autovacuum and autoanalyze run times are I
> think tricky as you cannot really define the last time autovacuum has
> been run on the parent as the last time it has been run only only one of
> the partitions or a sub-set of them.  This gets also messier if you come
> across multiple partition layers.

I think autovacuum launcher ignores/skips relkind 'p' relations.  Also, we
don't emit any kind of statistics for relkind 'p' relations to the stats
collector, as individual inserts/deletes into such relations are rather
counted as insert/deletes on partitions into which they're routed.

Thanks,
Amit