Re: Press Release Draft - 2016-10-27 Cumulative Update - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Press Release Draft - 2016-10-27 Cumulative Update
Date
List pgsql-hackers

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=update_releases/current/update_201610.md;h=aac4d0b36f3f3017d319ac617eff901efe0c10c0;hb=880dc99766ee0e608e95d9c0f36ce3cde59f470f
<https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=update_releases/current/update_201610.md;h=aac4d0b36f3f3017d319ac617eff901efe0c10c0;hb=880dc99766ee0e608e95d9c0f36ce3cde59f470f>

Couple thoughts:

* I don't believe that the FSM truncation issue is specific to being "in
recovery".  The corruption itself would happen during crash/restart on
a master, or while a standby is following a WAL stream, but the effects
would be seen later.  Suggest just taking out "in recovery" from the
description.

* Please clarify that the pg_upgrade VM issue is only in 9.6.0.

* The recipe for recovery from the VM issue is oversimplified.
Rather than trying to explain how to fix it here, I'd suggest
pointing to the wiki page we've created about that,
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Visibility_Map_Problems

Looks good to me otherwise.