Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Why not?  Right now it's single-threaded.  Would it be faster if it ran
>>> several copies in parallel?
>>
>> Sure, but that assumes you have parallel I/O channels;  I assume right
>> now it is I/O limited.

> But so does parallel pg_restore, no?

The point of parallel pg_restore is that COPY is frequently CPU-bound to
some extent, and so you can put multiple CPUs to work by parallelizing.
I find it much less probable that multiple "cp" operations can be
parallelized, unless the DB is spread across multiple tablespaces and
the code is smart enough to interleave by tablespace.