Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] snprintf causes regression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From pgsql@mohawksoft.com
Subject Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] snprintf causes regression
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Yes, strangly the Window's linker is fine because libpqdll.def defines
> what symbols are exported.  I don't think Unix has that capability.

A non-static "public" function in a Windows DLL is not available for
dynamic linking unless explicitly declared as dll export. This behavior is
completely different than UNIX shared libraries.

Windows static libraries operate completely differently than Windows DLLs,
they work like their UNIX equivilents.

So, if you create an snprintf function in code that will be in both a
static and dynamic library, the static library may have conflicts where as
the dynamic one will not.

Don't you love Windows?