Re: Getting error codes for failed queries? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Getting error codes for failed queries?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Alvaro Herrera writes:
>> Yes, unless you leave to lc_messages option defined to "C".
>> Unfortunately this cannot be changed at runtime by non-superusers, I
>> don't know why.

> Because otherwise any random user could obscure his actions in the server
> log by setting the language to something the admin can't read.

Hmm, that seems overly paranoid to me.  J Random Luser could not obscure
his actions (if the admin is logging SQL statements).  He could possibly
obscure his error messages, but is that enough of a security risk to
take away the ability of users to read their own errors in a convenient
language?  I'd lean to "no".

Of course the really nice answer would be to have different language
settings for messages to the system log and messages to the client, but
I suppose that's probably not very practical given the way gettext works.

            regards, tom lane