CONVERT function is seriously broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject CONVERT function is seriously broken
Date
Re: CONVERT function is seriously broken  (Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
I have just noticed that the implementation ofCONVERT(text USING encoding_name)
tries to do database access during the grammar phase, viz it looks
up the encoding_name in pg_conversion and replaces it with an OID.

This is not workable; consider the situation where we are in an
already-aborted transaction.  Using a pg_conversion OID in stored rules
isn't very acceptable either.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way offhand to fix this without an
initdb :-(.