Re: [GENERAL] Database replication... - Mission Critical - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Database replication... - Mission Critical
Date
In response to Database replication... - Mission Critical DBMS's -- Taking postgreSQL to the Enterprise Computing level...  ("Greg Patnude" <GPatnude@adelphia.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:18:47AM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> > regarding replication, as well as a "high availability how-to" that
> > would probably be worth reading.
>
> The high availability howto suggests using rsync to synchronise the
> data areas of two data servers.  That is an _extremely bad_ idea.
> I've suggested before that the link be removed, because it recommends
> something almost guaranteed to introduce massive database corruption
> at some point.  If there's no load and you have a fast network, you
> might get lucky.  But it is an extremely dangerous plan.

Ok, have just removed the link.  Sorry for not getting around to it
before Andrew.

(Bruce pointed out your email, otherwise I would have missed it again
too).

:-/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> --
> ----
> Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
> Liberty RMS                           Toronto, Ontario Canada
> <andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8
>                                          +1 416 646 3304 x110

   - Indira Gandhi