Re: BUG #3905: configure cannot find ossp UUID libs and/or includes - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #3905: configure cannot find ossp UUID libs and/or includes
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"David Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> I've installed OSSP UUID 1.6.0 in /usr/local, but configure cannot seem to
> find it when I use --with-ossp-uuid:

Oh, it finds it all right.  It's just complaining (not incorrectly) that
uuid.h fails when included after <unistd.h>.  AFAICT this is just
cosmetic, since we don't use it that way.  If you go ahead and build
then everything should be fine.

I don't know if there's any nice way to make configure avoid
including <unistd.h> while testing uuid.h.  Personally I think
libuuid's attempt to usurp typenames that may be defined by the
system headers is hopelessly broken, and that they'd be better off
doing the #define's the other way around, ie, make the underlying
real names of *their* typedefs different.  It is just not acceptable
that their header doesn't work if <unistd.h> is included first.

            regards, tom lane