Dropping schemas and "illegal seek" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Felix Finch
Subject Dropping schemas and "illegal seek"
Date
Re: Dropping schemas and "illegal seek" -- MEA CUPLA  (felix-lists@crowfix.com)
List pgsql-general
I have a perl test program which has about 80 test cases, each of
which creates its own schema so I can remove them with DROP SCHEMA xxx
CASCADE.  Normally each test case creates and drops the same schema,
but it can run a mode to preserve each schema and all the disk files
for each test.  I recently changed my cleanup code to run psql with
all -c commands on one command line rather than a separate psql -c for
each one ...

    psql -c 'DROP SCHEMA x1 CASCADE'
    psql -c 'DROP SCHEMA x2 CASCADE'

changed to

    psql -c 'DROP SCHEMA x1 CASCADE' -c 'DROP SCHEMA x2 CASCADE' ...

and began getting this complaint from psql:

    Can't drop schemas: Illegal seek

But nothing in the server log.  I have set log_min_messages = warning
and maybe that accounts for it, but illegal seek sounds bad enough to
be at least a warning.

I changed it back to separate commands, and the illegal seek complant
only shows up for the last one (which is dropped).  I tried adding
sleep 5 between each command, no difference.

VACUUM ANALYZE doesn't clear it.  I can recreate all 80 schema and
delete them all and get the same message.

Have I hosed this database?

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933