Re: Debugging deadlocks - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Debugging deadlocks
Date
List pgsql-general
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> I looked at Paul's first message and thought "nah, that won't work
>> because ... because ... hmm ... hmmm ..."

> For what it's worth, this would be very similar to how Oracle handles such
> locks.

[ slightly alarmed ]  Do they have a patent on the way they do it?

> In that case there's a fixed amount of space per page reserved in
> advance for storing locks.

Paul's idea involved using a variable amount of space (ie, whatever's
free) ... which might be sufficient to escape whatever hypothetical
patent Oracle or someone else might hypothetically have on this idea.
Or not.  Pardon me for feeling a bit skittish at the moment.

            regards, tom lane