Re: Debugging deadlocks - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Debugging deadlocks
Date
Re: Debugging deadlocks  (Paul Tillotson <pntil@shentel.net>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl> writes:
> > On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:14:07PM -0500, Paul Tillotson wrote:
>
> > Well, at that point you need to take a lock in order to be able to
> > manage locks.  Managing not to step on your own feet in that scenario
> > is complex, to say the least, if not downright impossible.
>
> I looked at Paul's first message and thought "nah, that won't work
> because ... because ... hmm ... hmmm ..."

For what it's worth, this would be very similar to how Oracle handles such
locks. In that case there's a fixed amount of space per page reserved in
advance for storing locks.

Actually I think it's a bit more complicated. But that's the idea.

--
greg