Re: Issues cross-compiling libpq 14.x to MacOS armv8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Issues cross-compiling libpq 14.x to MacOS armv8
Date
Re: Issues cross-compiling libpq 14.x to MacOS armv8  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-general
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> On 30 Nov 2021, at 20:59, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> AFAICS this is the only test in our configure script that is a hard
>> fail when cross-compiling, and I don't see a reason for it to be that.
>> We could just assume that /dev/urandom will be available --- that's no
>> worse than a lot of the other optimistic assumptions that configure
>> makes in that mode.

> Agreed, I don't see a problem with that.  I'm not terribly familiar with
> supporting cross compilation in autoconf, would a reasonable approach be to
> just remove the check altogether like the below sketch?

It seems like a useful test when *not* cross compiling, which is most
of the time.  I'd just wrap that bit in

    if test "$cross_compiling" = no; then
    fi

(I'm a bit surprised that the AC_CHECK_FILE macro doesn't provide
an action-if-cross-compiling option, but it apparently doesn't.)

            regards, tom lane