Re: Bug #759: 7.3beta1 DROP COLUMN DEPENDENCY PROBLEM - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug #759: 7.3beta1 DROP COLUMN DEPENDENCY PROBLEM
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> Indeed.  At the INNER JOIN it would appear that an alias is applied to
> the columns of a given table.
> The real trick is to make INNER JOINS less greedy in their requirements
> based on the columns that are actually used.

What surprised me about this report was not that the JOIN syntax exposed
a dependency on column c, but that the non-JOIN syntax didn't.  There
shouldn't be any semantic difference AFAIR, so it seems to me that at
least one of these behaviors needs to be fixed.

I am not sure that it's practical to remove the dependency as Tim is
hoping for...

            regards, tom lane