Re: Bug #759: 7.3beta1 DROP COLUMN DEPENDENCY PROBLEM - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Bug #759: 7.3beta1 DROP COLUMN DEPENDENCY PROBLEM
Date
Re: Bug #759: 7.3beta1 DROP COLUMN DEPENDENCY PROBLEM  ("Tim Knowles" <tim@ametco.co.uk>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 09:17, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> > Indeed.  At the INNER JOIN it would appear that an alias is applied to
> > the columns of a given table.
> > The real trick is to make INNER JOINS less greedy in their requirements
> > based on the columns that are actually used.
>
> What surprised me about this report was not that the JOIN syntax exposed
> a dependency on column c, but that the non-JOIN syntax didn't.  There
> shouldn't be any semantic difference AFAIR, so it seems to me that at
> least one of these behaviors needs to be fixed.
>
> I am not sure that it's practical to remove the dependency as Tim is
> hoping for...

I wondered about that too, but by that time figured I was in way over my
head.

The big difference is that the INNER JOIN code needs to drop one of the
colb's coming up with a virtual relation cola, colb, colc; where the
other doesn't have such a renaming scheme.

Or, thats how it appears to function to the user.  I've not dug into the
internals.