Re: BUG #5308: How to disable Case sensitivity on naming identifiers - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: BUG #5308: How to disable Case sensitivity on naming identifiers
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello,

usually sql identifiers are case insensitive. There are exception. If
you use double quotes for sql identifier, then you have to write exact
same identifier everywhere.

postgres=3D# create table Foo(a integer);
CREATE TABLE
Time: 174,078 ms
postgres=3D# select * from Foo;
---
(0 rows)

Time: 33,255 ms
postgres=3D# select * from foo;
---
(0 rows)

Time: 0,822 ms
postgres=3D# drop table foo;
DROP TABLE
Time: 34,945 ms
postgres=3D# create table "Foo"(a integer);
CREATE TABLE
Time: 3,225 ms
postgres=3D# select * from foo;
ERROR:  relation "foo" does not exist
LINE 1: select * from foo;
                      ^
postgres=3D# select * from Foo;
ERROR:  relation "foo" does not exist
LINE 1: select * from Foo;
                      ^
postgres=3D# select * from "Foo";
---
(0 rows)

Time: 1,277 ms

you cannot change this behave. Just don't use double quotes in create
statement.

Regards
Pavel Stehule