Re: quoting psql varible as identifier - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: quoting psql varible as identifier
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2010/1/19 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Updated patch attached.  I still think this is a bizarre API.
>>
>> Well, if we had it to do over I'm sure we'd have done it differently,
>> but the functions are there now and we aren't going to change them ...
>
> I agree, but I don't feel the need to repeat the mistakes we've
> already made by slavishly copying them into new places.  I think as
> long as we're adding a new function, we should make it behave sanely.
> We could even take the opportunity to go back and add a saner version
> of PQescapeStringConn.

Sometimes is better do nothing :(. I understand you, my first code was
same as your, but any change of basic API is the terrible thing. This
function is used in PHP driver, and bilions web pages. Theoretically
we can work on new libpq with richer API - there could be better
support of binary form, smarter quoting functions. But actually there
are no main request.

Regards
Pavel