Re: passing parameters to multiple statements - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: passing parameters to multiple statements
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/11/18 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it>:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:38:46 +0100
> Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/11/18 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it>:

>> > I'm a small fish. I use just Free software and still I think that
>> > departing from agnosticity has its cost even if you don't have to
>> > pay license costs.
>> > Especially if you did it without knowing it or with no reason.
>> > Many times departing from agnostic code is caused by:
>> > - lack of knowledge of standards/more than one DB
>> > - early optimization
>> >
>> > It's just a matter of where you're going to compromise and why,
>> > but you've to do it consciously.
>> >
>> > eg. a lot of code could run on mysql and postgresql as well at no
>> > cost, but many people just ignore there is something else other
>> > than mysql.
>> > That's shooting yourself in the head without even knowing the
>> > reason.
>
>> Sorry, but David has true. I understand, so management is happy,
>
> I didn't say he was wrong.
>
> As usual it is a matter of knowledge and trade off.
> How can you say what's better if:
> - you don't know what is standard
> - you don't know the performance impact of writing something in a
>  dialect of SQL rather than in a standard way

Standard is good. And I prefere standard everywhere, where is
possible. But standard has some parts, thats are not respected and not
well implemented. For example - stored procedures and fulltext. I had
to posibility to see some applications developed by programmers
without knowleadge of these. Nothing good. When I ask, why they wrote
it, they replyed so needs support for T-SQL and Oracle.

Any dogmatism is wrong - yes. But minimally me - and probably David
has very bad experience with design ala "all sql code for all
databases". And I have good experience with different strategy - early
decomposition and separation application and database (engine
specific) layer. Nothing less, nothing more.

Regards
Pavel