Re: Reducing data type space usage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Reducing data type space usage
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I like this scheme a lot - maximum bang for buck.

> Is there any chance we can do it transparently, without exposing new
> types? It is in effect an implementation detail ISTM, and ideally the
> user would not need to have any knowledge of it.

Well, they'd have to be separate types, but the parser handling of them
would be reasonably transparent I think.  It would work pretty much
exactly like the way that CHAR(N) maps to "bpchar" now --- is that
sufficiently well hidden for your taste?