Re: Less than ideal error reporting in pg_stat_statements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Less than ideal error reporting in pg_stat_statements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> I'm not opposed to this basic idea, but I think the message should be
> reworded, and that the presence of two separate ereport() call sites
> like the above is totally unnecessary. The existing MaxAllocSize check
> is just defensive; no user-visible distinction needs to be made.

I wonder whether the real problem here is failure to truncate statement
texts to something sane.  Do we really need to record the whole text of
multi-megabyte statements?  Especially if doing so could render the entire
feature nonfunctional?