explanation for random_page_cost is outdated - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From PG Doc comments form
Subject explanation for random_page_cost is outdated
Date
List pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/runtime-config-query.html

Explanation for random_page_cost is rather outdated, because it did only for
case of mechanical hdd. But all modern database servers, which I know, made
upon SSD. Do or not do default value for random_page_cost equal to 1 is the
question, but, IMHO, at list in the documentation  about random_page_cost
need to add in a speculation about SSD.

It's important because a business programming now is mostly web programming.
Most database is poorly designed by web programmer, tables looked like a
primary key and a huge json (containing all) with large gin index upon it.
Now I am seeing a table with a GIN index 50% of the table size. The database
is on SSD, of cause.  With default random_page_cost=4 GIN index don't used
by planner, but with random_page_cost=1 the result may be not excellent, but
acceptable for web programmers.