Re: Small patch to fix an O(N^2) problem in foreign keys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Small patch to fix an O(N^2) problem in foreign keys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck <jan@wi3ck.info> wrote:

> The problem is a cache introduced in commit 45ba4247 that improves

That's a bit off; 45ba424f seems to be what you mean.

> foreign key lookups during bulk updates when the FK value does not
> change. When restoring a schema dump from a database with many (say
> 100,000) foreign keys, this cache is growing very big and every ALTER
> TABLE command is causing a InvalidateConstraintCacheCallBack(), which
> does a sequential hash table scan.
>
> The patch uses a heuristic method of detecting when the hash table
> should be destroyed and recreated. InvalidateConstraintCacheCallBack()
> adds the current size of the hash table to a counter. When that sum
> reaches 1,000,000, the hash table is flushed. This improves the schema
> restore of a database with 100,000 foreign keys by factor 3.
>
> According to my tests the patch does not interfere with the bulk
> updates, the original feature was supposed to improve.

In the real-world customer case that caused you to look into this,
I thought 45ba424f drove schema-only restore time from 2 hours to
about 25 hours, and that this patch takes it back down to 2 hours.
Am I remembering right?  And this came about because it added
20-some hours to a pg_upgrade run?

If there are no objections, I will push this as a bug fix back to
9.3, where the performance regression was introduced.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com