Re: optimizing CleanupTempFiles - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: optimizing CleanupTempFiles
Date
Re: optimizing CleanupTempFiles  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> [ blink... ]  Doesn't look like that should happen.  What is your
>> test case?

> Hmph, must be because of the patch from last winter to prevent
> relfilenode reuse until next checkpoint.

Ah.  I had misunderstood Alvaro to say that temp files (the kind under
discussion up to now) were not unlinked immediately; which would be
pretty strange given that fd.c is underneath md.c.

> Looks like we didn't make an
> exception for temporary tables. Although it's harmless, we could put an
> isTempOrToastNamespace() test in there:

Bad, bad idea to have md.c doing any catalog access.  As already noted
downthread, it wouldn't buy much anyway.