Re: V14 and later build the backend with -lpthread - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: V14 and later build the backend with -lpthread
Date
Re: V14 and later build the backend with -lpthread
List pgsql-hackers
> I suspect we will end up linked against the threading library anyway
> in real-world builds via --with-XXX (I see that --with-icu has that
> effect on my FreeBSD system, but I know that details about threading
> are quite different in NetBSD).  I may lack imagination but I'm
> struggling to see how it could break anything.

Yeah, there are plenty of situations where you end up with thread
support present somehow.  So it may be a lost cause.  I was mostly
concerned about this because it seemed like an unintentional change.

(I'm also still struggling to explain why mamba, with the *exact*
same NetBSD code on a different hardware platform, isn't showing
the same failures as chickadee.  More news if I figure that out.)

> How should I have done that, by the way?  Is the attached the right trick?

I think that'd do for preventing side-effects on LIBS, but I'm not
sure if we'd have to back-fill something in pgbench's link options.
Anyway, as I said to Robert, I'm content to watch and wait for now.