Re: Possible outer join bug with coalesce in 8.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Possible outer join bug with coalesce in 8.2
Date
List pgsql-general
John McCawley <nospam@hardgeus.com> writes:
> My development machine is PostgreSQL 8.1.5, and my production machine is
> PostgreSQL 8.2.  Until now I haven't run into any differences in
> behavior.  I have a query with a relatively wacky join, and while it was
> working on my development machine, it wouldn't work on the production
> machine.  The query is as follows:

Is this 8.2.0?  Because the query seems to match the conditions for this
8.2.1 bug fix:

    * src/backend/optimizer/plan/: initsplan.c (REL8_2_STABLE),
    initsplan.c: Repair incorrect placement of WHERE clauses when there
    are multiple, rearrangeable outer joins and the WHERE clause is
    non-strict and mentions only nullable-side relations.  New bug in
    8.2, caused by new logic to allow rearranging outer joins.  Per bug
    #2807 from Ross Cohen; thanks to Jeff Davis for producing a usable
    test case.

            regards, tom lane