Re: BUG #8128: pg_dump (>= 9.1) failed while dumping a scheme named "old" from PostgreSQL 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #8128: pg_dump (>= 9.1) failed while dumping a scheme named "old" from PostgreSQL 8.4
Date
Responses Re: BUG #8128: pg_dump (>= 9.1) failed while dumping a scheme named "old" from PostgreSQL 8.4  ("Adrian.Vondendriesch" <Adrian.Vondendriesch@credativ.de>)
List pgsql-bugs
Adrian.Vondendriesch@credativ.de writes:
> [ recent pg_dump fails against an 8.4 server if "old" is used as a name ]

Yeah.  The reason for this is that "old" was considered a reserved word
in 8.4 and before, but since 9.0 it is not reserved (indeed it isn't a
keyword at all anymore), so 9.0 and later pg_dump don't think they need
to quote it in commands.

De-reserving a keyword happens sufficiently rarely that it doesn't
really seem worth teaching pg_dump about such cases.  There is a
workaround, which is to use the --quote-all-identifiers switch when
dumping from a server with an incompatible idea of the set of reserved
keywords.

For the archives' sake, it might be worth noting that
--quote-all-identifiers was added in 9.1, which means that 9.0 pg_dump
is vulnerable to this problem and has no workaround.  That's a bit
annoying, but I rather doubt we'll take the trouble to back-port
--quote-all-identifiers into 9.0 at this point.

            regards, tom lane