Re: BUG #8128: pg_dump (>= 9.1) failed while dumping a scheme named "old" from PostgreSQL 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Adrian.Vondendriesch
Subject Re: BUG #8128: pg_dump (>= 9.1) failed while dumping a scheme named "old" from PostgreSQL 8.4
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Am 01.05.2013 01:53, schrieb Tom Lane:
> Adrian.Vondendriesch@credativ.de writes:
>> [ recent pg_dump fails against an 8.4 server if "old" is used as
>> a name ]
>
> Yeah.  The reason for this is that "old" was considered a reserved
> word in 8.4 and before, but since 9.0 it is not reserved (indeed it
> isn't a keyword at all anymore), so 9.0 and later pg_dump don't
> think they need to quote it in commands.
>
> De-reserving a keyword happens sufficiently rarely that it doesn't
> really seem worth teaching pg_dump about such cases.  There is a
> workaround, which is to use the --quote-all-identifiers switch
> when dumping from a server with an incompatible idea of the set of
> reserved keywords.

I've tested the workaround and it works. But, because the error
originaly happens when upgrading from 8.4 to 9.1, I'm interested in a
way how I could force pg_upgrade to tell pg_dump to use this switch.

IMO: When there is such a switch, it should be on by default when
upgrading from 8.4 (or lower) to a version >= 9.1 to prevent this kind
of error. Did I miss something that would break in this scenario when
- --quote-all-identifiers is used by default while upgrading from <= 9.0?

> For the archives' sake, it might be worth noting that
> --quote-all-identifiers was added in 9.1, which means that 9.0
> pg_dump is vulnerable to this problem and has no workaround.
> That's a bit annoying, but I rather doubt we'll take the trouble to
> back-port --quote-all-identifiers into 9.0 at this point.
>
> regards, tom lane

Regards

    - Adrian

  * Englisch - erkannt